[wp-forums] Closing / Deleting Threads

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Thu Jun 30 18:25:38 GMT 2005

Podz wrote:
> Moshu just raised this in another post - hope it's okay to bring it into
> it's own thread.
>
> When should we close them ?
>
> Person posts with problem, gets help, posts back saying 'Thanks, all
> sorted'. Thread marked as Resolved. Do we then close it ?
>
> Person posts with problem, comes back with the usual 'Yeah, whatever,
> nvm, found the answer'. Do we close it ? Ask for their new-found
> knowledge ? Delete the thread ?
>
> When is it acceptable to use this 'power' ?

A lot of time people will post to a months-old thread, saying either:
* Thanks, this worked!
* I have this problem, too, and these ideas didn't work

The first is great, though not getting those due to closed threads
wouldn't really hurt much.

The second can be problematic, because the new persons problem may be
significantly different then the original.

I think we should start tentatively closing threads marked "Resolved".
For now, I propose we only close threads in which the original poster
returns to state that the problem is resolved.

Additional problems merit new threads.

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35