[wp-forums] search

Vicki Frei vkaryl at allvantage.com
Sat Dec 24 00:24:34 GMT 2005

So you want either no response - totally ignoring a first-time-poster perhaps,
or a totally individualized one with us doing a search FOR the poster or some such?

No response causes stuff like Razorhide in this thread:
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/52630 - where he states he'd tried 3 times
(which means he'd started 3 "same-sort" threads).... and he was QUITE irritated.
  I'm aware that a non-helpful response removes the thread from the
"appropriate" listing.  However, new posters don't know that AT ALL, and they
feel ignored and abandoned.  Do you have a "happy medium" for this conundrum?

I'm personally not willing to search FOR people even though search on wp sucks
rocks through a straw.  In fact, it's not even cool that I personally have to
use google to find the answers to some questions that I just can't remember
offhand.  Sad fact of life:  wp is increasingly complex, and I lose track of the
proper answers to things over time.  It's going to get worse with the release of
2.0.

I don't find "generic" responses a problem otherwhere.  I'm always pleased when
someone says, "Hey, sorry I don't know the answer.  Hang on, someone else
(sometimes a name, sometimes not) will be along (different time zone or whatever
reason not there at that point) to help you a bit further."  I've not once had
that sort of generic response either put me off, piss me off, or not result in
information later.