[wp-forums] Preping Forums for 2.0 Release

Vicki Frei vkaryl at allvantage.com
Tue Dec 20 00:05:57 GMT 2005

On 12/19/2005 5:02:08 PM, Scott Merrill (skippy at skippy.net) wrote:
> Vicki Frei wrote:
> >> So be sure to tell everyone to make /wp-content/ writable.
> >>

> > Is this a "you HAVE to do this"?  I have NO intention of using the wp
> > backup utility personally, I manage just fine the "real" way.  So if I
> >
> don't want to use it, I can leave the wp-content folder 644?
>
> If you're not
> going to use the backup plugin, then you
> don't need to
> twiddle permissions.
>
> If you do want to use the backup plugin, you need to make /wp-content/
> writable.  It needs to be writable so that the backup plugin can create
> the pseudo-random directory.
>
> If you would like to voice your opinion on this, here's
> the ticket:
> http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1934
>
> Matt casts doubt on the validity of the "Hardening WordPress" Codex
> page, specifically the file permissions section.  I wrote that bit, and
> I stand by my recommendations.  I think that /wp-content/ should be a
> container directory in which writable directories exist.
>
> It's doubtful we'll make any changes this close to release, but we'll
> never know until we try.

Well, I can see you wouldn't make major changes on the eve of release, but I'm
never going to be happy about writable ANYTHING on my servers.  If asked, I will
simply state my own preferences and let it go at that.

As long as I don't HAVE to do it.... and I don't, I use phpMyAdmin, I don't need
wordpress to hold my hand for backups.

So what was this in aid of anyway?  Why does wp NEED a backup utility resident?