[wp-docs] Dump of the Codex?

Jan Fabry jan.fabry at monkeyman.be
Fri May 27 18:38:07 UTC 2011

On Friday, May 27, 2011 7:59:02 PM UTC+2, Lorelle on WordPress wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by the upgrade plans for the Codex.

The current version of MediaWiki would provide an easy way to download all
pages and their history. So if the Codex will be upgraded in the near future
I can wait for that. Otherwise I would create a way around it, with a script
that will do multiple export requests.

> I did a little searching for you.
>
> http://cleverwp.com/download-292-pages-of-wordpress-functions/
> http://download-book.net/wordpress-codex-in-pdf.html
>
> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/wordpress-codex-documentation-as-a-single-download
> http://www.bluelayermedia.com/blog/downloadable-wordpress-codex
>
> http://www.hotfilesearch.com/download/52936108-Wordpress-CODEX-Offline-V2.zip.html
> http://www.tamba2.org.uk/T2/codex-and-pdf/
> Use HTTrack to download all the pages

Thank you for that! However, I want frequent (say weekly) dumps, to get some
interesting statistics, which should result in ways to encourage people even
more to contribute to the codex.

> Not sure why the duplicate mirror on Google Groups is important to do as
> I've talked to Jane Wells and Andrew Nacin and others about moving this to a
> P2 site as soon as possible, as many of the other groups have done. Did
> WordPress Foundation ask you to set up the mirror? Just trying to
> understand.

No, nobody asked me to do it. I just thought that it would be easier to read
the group like that. I only read about the plans to move to P2 after I set
up the mirror. (The only downside to a blog instead of a mailing list is
that it is harder for a newcomer to start a new topic - like this one. Or is
there a "submit a post" possibility?)

Thanks,

> Lorelle

Thank you, for all the work you have done to educate users and maintain
resources for developers. I hope I can use the "good vibes" that I got from
the WordPress Stack Exchange to improve the Codex too.

Greetings from a sunny Belgium (we could use some rain here),

Jan