[wp-docs] Codex Update Drive for May 2011

Lorelle on WordPress lorelleonwordpress at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 20:33:21 UTC 2011

WordCamp Developers asked me a few months ago if there was a way to have the
WordCamp give back to WordPress by contributing to the WordPress Codex. I've
been working with them and their WordPress Meetup group volunteers and a few
behind the scenes folks to get this rocking. I'm really excited about how
this is all going to work.

We've set up a blog with for managing the effort through the month of May.
It's the WordPress Codex Documentation Things to Do List blog at
http://wpdocsteam.wordpress.com/.

I've put together an initial announcement about the May 5 event and month
long effort:
http://wpdocsteam.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/celebrate-the-8th-birthday-of-wordpress-by-contributing-to-the-codex/

The how tos are:
http://wpdocsteam.wordpress.com/how-to-help-the-wordpress-codex/ and
http://wpdocsteam.wordpress.com/writing-tips-for-the-wordpress-codex/

Here is what we need to do.

1. Get a list of what needs doing added to the blog with clear directions.
2. If you can participate on May 5 or during the month, we'll need your help
on the blog, in the Codex, and on the IRC (reminder it's on the FreeNode IRC
at #wordpress-docs).
3. Spread the word.

A key help will be to monitor Recent Changes to ensure that no evil slips
through and to double check additions and changes to make sure they are
right, as you all have the expertise and experience to know right from
wrong.

Thanks so much to the WordCamp Developer team for kicking us in the buns to
get the Codex updated. With all the developers attending, they really wanted
to get their participants to give back to the WordPress Community, so what
better way to do that!

I know that there has been a lot of confusion, lack of information, and
updates on the WordPress Handbooks. I've heard from Jane that she went ahead
with a new team of volunteers to create those, and it is my understanding
that the WordPress Codex articles may be used in those handbooks, but that
the Codex will continue to grow as a tips, techniques, and coverage of how
to use WordPress beyond those handbooks. We've yet to discus how exactly all
that is going to happen, and what the future holds, but this month is a
chance to really get the Codex updated as it stands and generate a lot of
new energy, and help people who want to volunteer give back and help others
to celebrate the birthday month of WordPress.

Thanks in advance for all your help, in the past, now, and future. This has
been a labor of love for a long time for many and it is much appreciated.