[wp-docs] GNU General Public Licence

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Wed Jun 9 23:21:24 UTC 2010

On 6/9/10 7:08 PM, Arlen Beiler wrote:
> I am releasing it under both licences, to facilitate changing it, and
> what not. GPL is a software licence, and CC-By-SA is a generic license
> (sort of), more documentation oriented. I would require everyone to
> release it under CC-By-SA if I had my way. And no, there are no
> limitations to releasing something under two licences. It is GPL
> *OR* CC-By-SA, not AND. You can use either.
However, you do not have your way in this case, and just because you
want the WordPress Codex to be licensed according to your desires
doesn't make it so. I'm not disputing that GPL is a strange choice for
the Codex, I'm disputing that CCbySA is in any way compatible. If you
post anything to the Codex under a CCbySA license, it will be removed,
as it is incompatible with the overall Codex license.