[wp-docs] GNU General Public Licence

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Wed Jun 9 22:45:07 UTC 2010

On 6/9/10 6:40 PM, Arlen Beiler wrote:
> How are they incompatible? I read the two over briefly, and it didn't
> seem incompatible, though they easily could be. Could you point me to
> where you are reading.
>
> Also, this is a software licence, not a documentation license. The
> whole licence doesn't make sense from a documentation point of view.
> I, for one, am releasing all my contributions under GPL, CC-By-SA, and
> (will maybe) GFDL (just in case). That includes all past
> contributions. If all the contributors would do the same, or at least
> GPL and CC-By-SA, it would help quite a bit.
The issue of why the Codex is GPL is a valid question, and one I am not
getting into here.

What I will get into is that at this time is that right now, the Codex
*is* licensed as GPL. That means that CC-by-SA is not compatible,
because it requires attribution -- a restriction on how users use the
content. If you want to license content about WordPress under a CC-By-SA
license, then you should post it on your own site, not on the Codex, as
the two licenses are not compatible, since they say inherently different
things.
Jane