[wp-docs] Documentation Drive

Arlen Beiler arlenbee at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 11:59:26 UTC 2010

What the codex needs is not more attribution, or links, or anything else of
that nature. By now you all know that I believe in the Codex very much. A
couple things that can go a long way in helping to establish a site are
aesthetics and functionality. A site has to have enough of both. One thing I
might mention is that the codex does not have a full-time management team
like wikipedia does. Of course, the team only needs to have one or two
people, but they are needed full-time. If a wikipedian comes around ready to
work, and finds out that it doesn't have some of the important functionality
of Wikipedia, they might get frustrated if there isn't a place to propose
additional functionality (although they probably would stay for a while,
like I am).   ;-) By *management team* I mean people who have access to the
FTP, and everyone knows they do, and they have the final say in
functionality changes, though I think major design changes should go higher
up.

Another thing a site needs is ease of use. Coming from WikiMedia, it seems a
bit hard to use as it is. When I mentioned this to someone, they said that
people can always use the MediaWiki skin. That certainly work, but it
doesn't have the site bar, and I think that major contributers should use
the default skin some of the time anyway, so they know what their styles and
page designs look like to people stopping by for answers. Also, would it be
possible to redesign all of wordpress.org to make the links a bit darker and
get rid of the gray? It strains my eyes a bit to look at them, though not
much. :-)

Also, the license is, they say, incompatible with Wikipedia, which I say is
a no-no. Wikipedia recently did a licence change, so we could too, it
isn't unprecedented. If we change the license, we have to do it before the
doc drive, or else we will have more problems.

Finally, I totally believe that mediawiki is the right thing to use for the
job. I really like contributing codex, and am waiting to *par*ticipate in
the *an*ticipated doc drive.

Cheers
-Arlen