[wp-docs] Copyright implications of using templates taken from Wikipedia

Potkanski, Jason jpotkanski at tribune.com
Mon Jun 7 19:01:40 UTC 2010

I am not a lawyer.

http://codex.wordpress.org/GPL

Codex licensing is GPL. Wikipedia content is GFDL/CC-BY-SA. These are generally considered not compatible.

My personal thoughts are that the Codex itself is under incorrect licensing, as the GPL is designed as a document license. Welcome to license hell.

-Jason Potkanski
Tribune Technology

On 6/7/10 1:48 PM, "mrmist" <listswpdocs at mist.org.uk> wrote:

In message <02de01cb063a$e34fd1c0$6401a8c0 at dell8600>, Michael E. Hancock
<justmichaelh at gmail.com> writes
>There's been a few templates [1] added to Codex recently that are taken
>from Wikipedia.
>
>Are there any copyright issues involved with using those templates in Codex?

The copyright messages on Wikipedia seem to relate to the content itself
rather than the delivery mechanism, so I can't be sure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Copyright

There may I suppose be licensing issues if the templates class as
content and the license to use the content is not applicable to the
WordPress Codex.

--
mrmist