[wp-docs] theme and plugin compatibility pages

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Sat Jul 11 07:43:08 UTC 2009

On 9 Jul 2009, at 18:58, mrmist wrote:

> In message <fded39850907090734x404ef98fl803d0e9dccacb189 at mail.gmail.com
> >, Lorelle VanFossen <lorellevan at gmail.com> writes
>> And thanks for staying on top of this. It's a very important page
>> that people
>> link to and refer to from all over the web and it's important that
>> it represent
>> us well.
>
> That's the crux of it all really.  IMO when someone comes and plants
> 15+ links to essentially one site on this page, it makes it look bad.
>
> My problem as someone essentially trying to moderate that is that -
> on the face of it - it is 15 separate links to separate themes.
>
> I just baulk at the thought that what is essentially a help site is
> being used as link fodder.  Mutliple themes may indeed be hosted on
> the target site, but it's against the spirit of the page, I think.
> Still, I'm not prepared to get into "undo battles" over it.
>
> Do we need some kind of guidance on the page itself to cover off,
> say, max links per site, or that if you have a site with many themes
> it should come under one link?  I think that that should satisfy
> anyone who has a legitimate use of the page whilst allowing spam to
> be pruned effectively.

The time will come when those pages should go completely and we should
refer people to Extend.

This of course needs to be combined with a way of the community being
able to mark plugins/themes on Extend as compatible and compatibility
being searchable.

westi
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5