[wp-docs] theme and plugin compatibility pages

mrmist listswpdocs at mist.org.uk
Thu Jul 9 12:30:20 UTC 2009

So last night I am checking for changes on the codex as I do, to purge
off spam and the like, and I see that seo-dave has added masses of links
to theme compat pages for 2.8 and 2.3, so I undo them.  We do that a
couple of times.  seo-dave drops a message on my talk page this morning
asking why I am reverting the changes.

So I explain in there that I'm reverting them because it looks like spam
to me.

Anyway, his views and mine clearly differ as to what constitutes spam.
To me, though, the theme compatibility pages and the plugin compat pages
just look like long link-lists that can be taken advantage of.  I'm not
convinced what their purpose is within the codex.

To me, it would seem that if there's known issues with a theme, maybe
that section belongs in the codex, but what's the point in the rest?
Themes that pass the criteria appear in the WordPress Theme browser, I'm
not sure why there is a codex page for the themes that people are
essentially making a profit off.

For now I guess I will have to leave these pages and not prune them of
spam links as I would everywhere else.

Any clarification is appreciated.
--
mrmist