[wp-docs] Categories

Will Kemp Will at Swaggie.net
Thu Jul 9 06:34:45 UTC 2009

On 07/08/2009 11:44 PM, Lorelle VanFossen wrote:

> I know we thoroughly documented the categories structure and guidelines,
> but I can't find them where they are supposed to be. So I fixed it on
> the following pages:
>
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Codex:Guidelines#Codex_Categories

Even though this article is categorized "About Codex", it doesn't appear
on the "About Codex" category page. I had assumed that this was
something that happened automatically, but it looks like it doesn't. Do
we have to add them manually? Or is there a bot that does it? Or have i
missed something?

> 1. All categories must have Capital Letters not lower case as MediaWiki
> treats "WordPress Lessons" and "wordpress lessons" and "WordPress
> lessons" as three different pages. All pages with the lower case
> versions must have their categories changed to the appropriate cap version.

I'll make a start on changing "Wordpress Development" to "WordPress
Development" in the 169 pages where it's wrong.

Thinking about that a bit more... Maybe it would be less work to write a
bot to do that. The disadvantage would be that i wouldn't get to explore
all those 169 pages, but it would probably be a lot less work in the
long run.

> 2. All foreign language pages must be categorized with their proper
> foreign category name, with the two letter language code in front of the
> category name, per the example in the Guidelines. The only exception is
> the country or language specific main category.

By "foreign", i assume you mean "not English" (the internet's a big
place and "foreign" doesn't mean "not English" in most of it!). If
English language pages aren't categorized, how do you list just pages
that are in English?