[wp-docs] RFC: New Global Variables page for the Function Reference

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Jan 20 06:11:54 GMT 2009

Nice!

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles K. Clarkson" <cclarkson at htcomp.net>
To: "WordPress Documentation" <wp-docs at lists.automattic.com>
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 9:51:51 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [wp-docs] RFC: New Global Variables page for the Function Reference

Hello,

     I would like to add a new page to the Function Reference on the
Codex about WordPress Global Variables. There are a few lists around the
web, but no full list in the Codex documentation.

     I explain some of my reasoning in a rough draft [1]. Mainly I want
to have a single location to point to from the Codex Function Reference
pages for each global variable.

     The Source Code Documentation Parser (The Parser) will
automatically add links to the appropriate sections of this page to most
global declarations.

     Hopefully, this will allow programmers to add notes in the source
code about a particular global variable usage while allowing the Codex
to automatically refer to more detailed information about that variable.

     The Parser adds globals that are not defined by the Inline
Documentation (probably because the programmer didn't think them
important), but that are included in the function to the Codex Function
Reference Page. So, there is a need for a good definition in the Codex.

     Is anyone else working on this?

     Can you see any room for improvement?

     The new page would reside at:
     http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/Global_Variables.