[wp-docs] Codex license: CC better than GPL?

Lloyd Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 19:28:28 GMT 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Lorelle VanFossen <lorellevan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I contacted Jonathan Bailey of Plagiarism Today, an expert on this subject,
> and he recommends both GPL and Creative Commons-BY-SA.  Here is his
> response, used with permission, that explains why.
>
>  This is what we call a license clusterf!@#$ and it was actually created
>  by the open source movement. I can name almost a dozen "open" licenses
>  that are not compatible with one another or only have limited
>  compatibility. There is no easy way out of this and the only "elegant"
>  solution is dual licensing.

Aside. That isn't completely true. License proliferation predates the
open source movement, and I think has greatly improved since the Open
Source Initiative started. Also the Free Software Foundation does a
fantastic job of documenting the incompatibilities, and providing a
small set of licenses that have huge quantities of work under them.

Cheers,
--
Lloyd Budd | Digital Entomologist | | Skype:foolswisdom
WordPress.com | WordPress.org | Automattic.com