[wp-docs] Changing the WordPress Codex References to Administration Panels

Lorelle on WordPress lorelleonwordpress at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 19:40:12 GMT 2008

Time to get cracking. WordPress 2.7 will be on WordPress.com in a few hours,
and we, the documentation team, need to get our acts together.

In general, the Codex will not be supporting old versions of WordPress since
most have known security vulnerabilities and we are encouraging upgrading to
the latest version accordingly. This doesn't mean "old" articles will be
obsolete and deleted. They are to be marked as follows:

1. For pages covering known versions, add this to the top with the correct
version number.

   {{Oldpage|2.6}} or whatever the version number is.

2. For sections covering older versions, you can add the same thing in the
section, under the section title.

3. For pages covering older versions, but not specific older versions, add
this to the top of the page.

   {{Oldversion}}

I recommend you add {{Oldversion}} when in doubt.

Here is a to do list to help volunteers get started. It would be nice to let
us know if you will take on a specific set of documents, such as everything
within the installation, design, or whatever sections. I'll be working with
Jane on adding the new screencasts to the WordPress Lessons and other key
pages within the Codex.

1. See http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2008/12/03/27-gets-here-in-two-days/ for
changes in how panels are to be referenced. In the past, we've pointed to
menu items such as Write > Post and the new version is Posts: Add New. All
references need to be updated accordingly.

2. Jane is working on http://codex.wordpress.org/Administration_Panels, one
of the most linked to pages on the Codex. When the updates are finished
which match the new version, let's ensure that we follow that lead with all
of our guides and references for naming things.

3. If you are currently using the Beta RC, please go through the
Administration Pages and find every link to a help file on the Codex and
ensure that these documents are up-to-date and accurate, as well as reflect
the changes in WordPress. We will need many eyes to review these, as well as
find them, to ensure they are ready.

4. I will be working on the new table of contents and posting it hopefully
next week. I've been waiting for new changes in the naming structure and
interface before jumping too fast. I'll be announcing the demo pages here
and seeking input. We're aiming to keep the table of contents pages very
simple and easy to find things.

5. I've asked Matt Thomas several times to fix the CSS in the Codex,
especially restoring image floats and DIV styles for demo examples, as we
have no access. Hopefully, he will implement those improvements soon to make
it easier to read and work with the Codex, as well as edit and contribute.

Thanks to everyone for pitching in, and I'll try to get the WP-Docs IRC
channel open next week for immediate input and response as we work on the
Codex. Hope to see you there!