[wp-docs] A Note on WordPress Lessons

Lorelle VanFossen lorelle at cameraontheroad.com
Tue Mar 13 01:32:35 GMT 2007

I've started cleaning up the WordPress Codex Table of Contents in
preparation for changing their structure. This involves removing the
"NEW" on old articles and just making sure everything is included. It's
a very tedious process, so this is slow going. Once I have figured out
what is missing (and please point out any articles not listed in the TOC
pages in case I miss them) and added them to the appropriate place, then
I'll have a better offering of how to structure the TOC better. I'll be
sending out a list of the order and such for your recommendation before
I do anything. Stay tuned for that.

I also wanted to clear up some confusion that the WordPress Lessons
section may have for you.

WordPress Lessons is a separate but inclusive part of the WordPress
Codex. I think of the WordPress Codex divided up into two parts. There
is the technical user manual for all of the specific tech how to and
explanations. This includes beginning, get started, and all the stuff to
the highest techie levels.

The other part is a group of tutorials called WordPress Lessons. The
Lessons rely heavily upon the technical manual articles but offer a
unique writing style. Instead of 1, 2, 3 tech talk, these are the
tutorial guides which slowly lead a new user through a process
step-by-step. In presenting these a few years ago, I described them as
written so the reader feels like a WordPress support volunteer is
sitting by their side saying "now do this, now that, that's good, that's
right, you're on the right- oh, no, go back, now fix this - that's
better" tone of voice. Not patronizing but helpful and guiding.

The WordPress Lessons were never intended to become replacements for the
technical manual information. Due to the lack of articles on some of
these subjects, WordPress Lessons are now filtered into the technical
side of the Codex.

I would like to see the holes in the technical documentation on some of
these subjects get more technical articles filling them. There is a list
on the http://codex.wordpress.org/Codex:Tasks Task List which may help
if you are interested in writing these technical articles.

In starting my "cleaning" process on the TOC, I found two whole sections
of WordPress Lesson links removed with a link to two other table of
contents pages. It should be the other way around. We need to keep
WordPress Lessons with Lessons so people will have one place featuring
these guides and tutorials, so please keep them with the Lessons and
refer to them from the other Tables of Contents in the future.  If a
technical article on the subject is needed, do it or add it to the to do
task list, please.

I'd love to have no repetition to the same links from multiple TOC
pages. But sometimes that can't be helped. Let's use this as a clue to a
"technical article needed here". ;-)

Thanks,