[wp-docs] Structure of documentation

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Thu Feb 22 16:11:27 GMT 2007

I want to make it clear that I am a developer, and I think the idea of
having the functions documented in the code is the Right Thing To Do.

I also want to make it clear that I am not a decision maker in
WordPress, just an Interested Participant.

So... I was thinking about this idea of having the WordPress PHP code
being the source for Codex function documentation pages from a
practical perspective, and I do not think it is practical right now...
or at least, here are the practical concerns that I would want to see
addressed in a reliable, workable way, before such a plan was implemented:

* Figure out how to get the existing function documentation from the
Codex Function Reference, Template Tags, and associated pages into the
code.

* Figure out standards for function headers that would translate to
good function documentation pages, and find or write code to extract
all the function documentation and put it into the Codex (or another
web site).

* Figure out a way to make it easy for both developers and
non-developers to be able to edit the documentation and submit their
changes.

* Figure out a way to have documentation released on a schedule that
is not necessarily connected to the WordPress release schedule (i.e.
so updates to documentation could be put onto the site immediately).

     --Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon

Poplar ProductivityWare * www.poplarware.com
Web Databases/Scripts * Modeling/Analysis/Palm OS Software