[wp-docs] Structure of documentation

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Wed Feb 21 22:13:07 GMT 2007

Hi Andrew,

I think the place to put a better description of the steps to writing
a plugin is the existing "Writing a Plugin" article, which definitely
needs a rewrite. I was going to do it, within a week or two, but if
you want to, please feel free (let me know if you plan to do this, so
we don't both work on it at once).

There are also a couple of better (than the existing article)
references linked at the bottom of Writing a Plugin. I think at least
one of them does pretty much what you suggested -- goes through step
by step with complete code given.

Also note that there are other plugin-related articles that go into
details of some of the steps you are talking about. So my suggestion
would be to have an overview of those steps in "Writing a Plugin", and
link to the articles with the details. For example, don't go into
detail about Filters and Actions, just mention and link to the "Plugin
API"  article.  You will obviously need to become familiar with the
articles that are out there, so you don't waste a lot of time
reinventing the wheel.

Regarding a complete plugin example, I think there are plenty of
plugin examples out there, and I do not think that the article really
needs to have the complete plugin code in it, since there are so many
places to download plugins. Style is good; there is an article in the
Codex about WordPress programming style, so probably it's not
necessary to expound on that a lot in "Writing a Plugin".

Let me know how you are planning to proceed....
     Jennifer