[wp-docs] Codex : linking to translated pages

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 18:27:04 GMT 2007

On 2/2/07, Xavier Borderie <xavier at borderie.net> wrote:
> > Another option is to work on building the
> > http://codex.wordpress.org/fr:Accueil page, listing all the French
> > pages there so that it becomes the page of choice for francophone
> > users to browse the codex.
>
> Some of us are working on the FR Codex, and it is because their work
> is of great value to our community, but seldom linked to because the
> know-it-alls are used to refer to the EN versions, that I'd like the
> translators to be able to tag EN versions with some equivalent to
> WikiPedia's [[fr:TitreTraduit]] in order for the FR versions to get
> linked from the EN originals, and thus get more exposure.
> Is it already possible ? If not, I'm sure it can't be that hard to
> implement, could it ?

The way wikipedia does it is they have en.wikipedia.org and then
fr.wikipedia.org - something we cannot do.

Writing and using a template tag to add a link to the page in French
is easy. What would be perfect is to have a template tag that tries to
find if there is a French page and adds a link only if it finds it,
and then adding this template tag to all pages. This seems difficult
to do. Also, the French pages have titles that are different from the
English equivalents, so not only do we have to find if an equivalent
page exists, but also find the title in French.

Therefore, it is best to manually add links to the equivalent French
page if it exists. I can whip up a mediawiki template that makes the
job easier (whether a template makes it easier, really, is an open
question :-) ).

Could you volunteer to find French equivalents to pages and then add
links to the pages? We could have a little div thingy below the title
of a page that has links to equiv. pages in other languages. It's a
lot of work - any other less-work-intensive suggestions are welcome.

Carthik.

> --
> Xavier Borderie
> http://xavier.borderie.net/blog/