[wp-docs] Banning a user--reasonable?

Michael E. Hancock mhancock at us.net
Sun Jan 29 17:23:15 GMT 2006

From: <michael at followingedge.com>
> --On Sunday, January 29, 2006 10:53 AM -0500 "Michael E. Hancock"
> > Was I unreasonable in banning this user?  Or did I commit unwarranted
> > censureship?
>
> Remember that people who contribute negative things like this DO care
about
> WordPress. If they didn't care, they would make the effort, I think. In my
> opinion, being welcoming to the WordPress community requires giving people
> like this a gentle and respectful nudge in the right direction:

We can never have too many people helping with Codex, but that user has
never contributed to Codex short of that comment.  Not that this happened
before, but if a previous Codex contributer had left that comment I probably
would have just reverted the comment and went on with business.  But to
register just to leave a comment like that...

> "Your recent comment on the WordPress Codex was removed, because it did
not
> seem to contribute to documenting WordPress, the goal of the Codex. Your
> comment may have been appropriate for discussion on the WordPress Forum,
> but you should be sure to provide sufficient background information and a
> clear goal or problem before addressing this to the Forum, since the
> Forum's goal is to build constructive discussion and support for the
> WordPress community. As a matter of policy to prevent abusive behavior on
> the Codex, users with removed comments are often banned from further
> comments for 10 days. Your posting access will resume in 10 days and we'll
> hope to see your contributions to WordPress documentation after that time.
> Thanks sincerely."

I used a good part of this paragraph to repharse comments to this user.  I
didn't refer to the Forum though, and suggested that his comment is more a
topic for his blog as Podz suggested.

Thanks Michael for your thoughtful comments on this subject.

~~~MichaelH