[wp-docs] 5-Step Upgrade in Upgrading WordPress

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 21:59:04 GMT 2006

On 2/16/06, Michael B <miklb.online at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/16/06, Carthik Sharma <carthik at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > (or, is it just me who's obnoxious?)
>
> Yes, in my opinion.

That is a first - I suppose I can say with confidence that I have
tried to be considerate to all opinions, and be extra careful to
explain myself on public mailing lists, just so that I am not a
"troll" or someone who easily offends. I'm sorry I was obnoxious.
I can state my point of view, and argue rationally, but I cannot
counter invective.

That said, Michael, you are more productive and useful to others
around here, than me, right now. Please don't give things up because
of me.

I am not a part of the picture. I itched and I scratched, but I did
not expect this result - at all. I have been inactive with WP for a
while (since January), which is why I asked my name to be removed from
the blogroll, and Matt did that, and removed my name from the
wp.org/about/ page too. I just didn't see the need to make my private
decision public before. I felt VERY self-conscious writing the
previous email, which is why I explained why what I was writing should
not offend support volunteers who spend time at the forums (when I
currently don't). That seems to have had the opposite effect. Looks
like there is nothing I can say to discuss issues without upsetting
someone emotionally. I am currently not worth you stopping work on WP.

> And rather than get into a pissing match,
That has NEVER been my intention, not in this thread, or any other.
Please don't accuse me without first knowing me.
>as you've so
> pointed out, this is voluntary, consider me done with this issue, this mail
> list and consider me done with answering questions in the forums.  I'm tired
> of the division between the forum and codex, which in my time, goes back to
> last summer and Lorelle's rough shod control over what, where, how things
> went into the codex.

You should not discourage volunteers, no matter what you *feel*. Use
your reason, not emotions to explain what you think is right, and to
get it accepted. Lorelle never exercised rough-shod control. No one
did. The period you speak of is from when I was in the business of
helping out at the codex. This source of information that many are
proud of, that many refer to, was the answer to the dig "wordpress is
really cool, but it doesn't have good documentation". Michael -- I
have spent more hours (than probably two or three people I shall not
name) at work on the Codex that anyone else, including you. Yet, I
have never been possessive or protective about this work.  I'm sorry
you seem to think otherwise about me, Lorelle, and maybe others.

> The obstacles in the forums these days in answering questions is great
> enough, to have more put up by some ego trip of what shouldn't be included
> in an upgrade page is absurd.

This is NOT an ego trip. This is a rational conversation.

> So go on dealing with the least common
> denominator, and leave the others to fend for themselves.

Have you seen my edits to the page (which I made as I said I would in
the previous mail)? Do you agree to what's there? If not, how can we
improve it?