[wp-docs] The point about Copyright

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Thu Sep 22 16:40:28 GMT 2005

Podz wrote:
> 4. This is about taking action now so that the work is protected. From
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html -"be sure to find out who
> the copyright holders of the software are before reporting a violation."
> and yet when I start to create a page of all the copyright holders, I
> get told it is a waste of time. Please do explain WHY that is a waste of
> time given that it would be needed.

Because the minute you write it, it'll be out of date. It'd be much
easier to just look at the revision history for a page, IF such a case
were to occur which I have never heard of.

> 5. The Codex still does not say that copyright is retained by the
> author. It does not say what rights the author may or may not have. It
> does not say who may or may not make any judgements about copyright,
> publishing, income generation etc. Don't you think it should ? It
> doesn't matter one bit that YOU might know - it should be there in clear
> language for all to see and understand before they start typing

Would it calm people's mind if we had one of those heavy TOS agreements
that says "everything you produce on this website is owned by X"? Lots
of commercial websites like Yahoo have something similar. That said,
I've never liked them.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | http://cnet.com