[wp-docs] Codex and the FSF

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Wed Sep 21 23:42:58 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 23:29 +0100, Podz wrote:
> At this weeks #meetup, I proposed that the copyright ownership of Codex
> be transferred to the Free Software Foundation http://www.fsf.org/ (FSF).
> This was discussed at #meetup, but unfortunately Matt was not present.
> Because it is not entirely clear where we currently stand or what indeed
> the FSF can offer, I volunteered to get some information.

Every single contributor to the Codex thus far must do a copyright
assignment to the FSF.  Only they can grant their copyright to someone
else.

For future contributions, you can require that contributors fill out a
copyright assignment.  This can be very tedious and often requires the
use of fax machines.

For example,

http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/faq-licensing.html#jcaa

Most open source projects don't bother with copyright assignment.  It
often becomes a barrier to contribution.

Ryan