[wp-docs] Codex and the FSF

Firas D. fd at firasd.org
Thu Sep 22 02:23:44 GMT 2005

Podz wrote:

> Anthony Timberlake wrote:
>
>> What is the benefit of this?
>

> As I see it, someone could wander along, take a good long look at
> codex, it's licence and protections and then do something that would
> have us all yelling about that act being unfair, exploitative etc.
> I'd rather we closed the stable door first, and to do that, we need
> information.
>
> P.

Podz, the only way someone can really exploit the codex is to take parts
of it and print them under a non-gpl license, yeah? In which case the
people who wrote the parts in question have a copyright issue at hand. I
understand that whoever is in this position might not have the resources
to sue a large publisher, but in that case, the infamy that comes from
ripping off WordPress will do the publisher far more harm than good.

Now, if this situation were to arise, say, we'd need to know who has
copyright over the articles, yup? Hence information. Well. Ask every
user to supply a way to get in touch with them on their user page
(website, email, etc), and figure it out through the revision history.

I know that you've been in search of a 'codex copyright holders' list.
If you really want, I can explore the options that we have to figure out
who has made more than 10 or so revisions on the WP articles and
automagically generate the copyright holders list from that. It might
require a dump of some parts of the codex db though. The upside is that
it'll be far more accurate than the 'code copyright holders' list
because (I assume) that one is updated manually, not sure by whom or
under what criteria (is everyone who has submitted a nontrivial patch
that got used listed there?)

--
http://firasd.org