[wp-docs] Your help is needed.
podz at tamba2.org.uk
Tue Sep 6 14:05:51 GMT 2005
This is the followup to Lorelle's email to the list, and it's something
we've discussed between us.
- for WP users to be able to download those parts of Codex that they
wish to read offline.
- for this project to be maintained in such a way as to not be dependent
on any one person or any single location (outside of wp.org)
1. Recruit a team for pdf document maintenance. A minimum of 2,
preferably 4, people are needed.
- each person takes on a designated range of Codex pages
- The Codex page range would be by TOC section, such as WordPress
Lessons, Development Documentation, About WordPress, etc.
2. Each person would monitor the documents within their section and when
changes are made, they will create a new PDF file.
3. The PDF file will be uploaded to the agreed upon web space.
- Podz will provide this. It will probably be ISP space as this is html
only (no code support). Other web space may be considered. The people
with access to this web space need to be well trusted and vetted and
Podz will monitor the web space regularly.
- The web space address will also act as a backup location should the
main location become unavailable.
4. At a set time, a cron script on wordpress.org will copy over only
those files which have changed (date stamp being the key). This allows
Matt to maintain the security of wp.org
5. The download page on wordpress.org will show the title of each file
along with the last modified date.
6. Should the team begin to produce the docs in any other format, the
same procedure can be done.
7. Anyone is free to copy the files and host them elsewhere, but
no-one will be allowed download access to the download and backup web
space location. (Right now the location is both known and the directory
open. This would change. I see this as stopping others hotlinking to the
files. I have no tracking I can use there).
If you want to help and haven't got Open Office I'll burn to CD and send
it to you.
The more people that say Yes, the more the work is spread. It really
isn't a difficult task.
- Would have to be done manually, but I think that's doable.
Volunteers appreciated !!
More information about the wp-docs