[wp-docs] Major Housekeeping

lorelle at cameraontheroad.com lorelle at cameraontheroad.com
Mon May 23 15:02:22 GMT 2005

Carthik made a plea in the IRC Meetup last Wednesday that he needed 5 or so
people this past weekend to really clean things up in the Codex. I know it
was last minute and then not announced on the mailing list or to a wider
audience, and attendence was justifiably low.  I've recommended to him that
we need to do a Codex Wiki Week, a week long (one weekend to a second
weekend) major maintenance recruitment.

1. Check out the new http://codex.wordpress.org/Codex:Cleanup Sign up list
and information
2. Promote this (if it meets approval from you all) heavily in the Forums
and different WordPress sites.
3. For those who are now "in charge" of administering certain areas, make a
list of the tasks/articles you need done in your section and add it to the
http://codex.wordpress.org/Codex:Tasks list so we know what is needed and
people can see where they can help.
4. If you haven't signed up to be responsible for an area or for a task in
the Codex - get in gear, folks.  It doesn't mean you have to spend every
waking moment in the Codex, but a couple hours or less a week would be nice
payback for this fabulous software...hint hint with a hammer.

The last couple of "Wiki Days/Weekends" were a total bust.  I know everyone
is busy, but if we put all our energy into a concentrated effort, we can get
the big holes in the documentation fixed and get on with the fun of the rest
of our lives...until the next major WordPress Release means we have to
change things.

If you are looking for new ideas on what to add or do on the Codex, here are
some sources:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Codex:Tasks
http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Lorelle/Codex_Categories (think about what
is missing from the categories)
http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Lorelle/Articles_Wanted (effort to fill in
the blanks based on other program's TOC)
http://www.wordpress.org/support (If the word is big in the new tag heat
map, then we need articles about it)