[wp-docs] User accounts

Morgan Doocy morgan at doocy.net
Mon Mar 14 20:20:30 GMT 2005

On Mar 14, 2005, at 11:34 AM, Craig Hartel wrote:
> I'm not trying to exclude lurkers or anyone else, for that matter. You
> don't need an account to get any information from Codex. You don't
> need an account on Codex to be a member of this list.
>
> I see nothing wrong with deleting accounts that aren't used. It's not
> a knock against anybody. It's simple database management and
> maintenance.

It might be just me, but I see everything wrong with this. What's the
need for eliminating accounts? I see no benefit from a maintenance
standpoint. Sure you don't need an account to just read, but what of
the users who read a lot and decide to correct a typo just once -- only
to find that their account has been deleted without warning?

It's a Very Bad Thing to mess with users' accounts, and doing so would
only serve to pressure people into contributing to keep their account
active. Which is very un-wiki-like and just plain unnecessary. User
accounts should NEVER be messed with, except in cases of vandalism or
spamming.

This has nothing to do with bragging rights Ryan, it's just a user
account. There is no requirement to create an account; why should there
be a requirement to keep it?

Morgan