[wp-docs] new codex page for developers/dev discussion?

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 13:36:53 GMT 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:35:55 -0500, Charlie <chazen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm
> sure this is stuff that the development team already does, but doesn't
> publicize; it would be neat to get the community in on it.

No, the development team is not a coterie of any kind. All discussions
except some maybe security issues or sensitive issues are discussed at
the wp-hackers list. A lot of the developers haven't been too active
lately, and the way things are, everything moves ahead just fine. User
can provide feedback at wp-hackers and things are rolled in, or,
sometimes, out. If you want to volunteer for that task of updating the
codex with news from wp-hackers, please feel free.

> (On a side note, perhaps another future development idea would be
> implementing PHPDoc commenting throughout the WordPress source code, to
> make function reference documentation automatic.)

Good idea, and this has been thought of before - just have to decide
to go one or the other, now. phpxref is useful too.

> I'm pretty bad at names.... how does a section heading on [[Advanced
> Topics]] such as "=== Future Development ===" sound?  In the interests
> of not making [[Alternative Databases]] (or whatever it ends up being
> called) lonely under that heading, does anyone else have any game-ready
> pages that would fit this section?  Is it too dangerous to actually put
> a page up called [[Feature Requests]]?  I suppose that can of worms
> might open itself eventually anyway...

Go ahead and create whatever you think is most appropriate, and it
will change if it needs to. Feature requests are at the bugtracker
right now. Putting that up at the Codex would not serve the purpose,
since devs may not always keep that in mind.

Carthik.--
When nothing is done, nothing is left undone -- 老子 Lǎozi

University of Central Florida
Homepage: http://carthik.net