[wp-docs] Validation Error with Plugins Might Need Attention in Codex

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Wed Mar 9 17:58:48 GMT 2005

lorelle at cameraontheroad.com wrote:

> Anyway, until there is a way to get this fixed, I think someone should
> look into it and maybe we should make a note of it on the Plugins page
> in the Codex and any articles about writing plugins.

Well, this isn't really an issue of WordPress or plugins, it's a problem
with PHP's session management not respecting XHTML rules.  This is not
to say that documenting it is a bad idea.

I can't think of a good reason for WordPress plugins to use PHP
sessions, really.  Session management is good for things like logins,
but WordPress manages that without using PHP sessions.

Beyond plugins, wouldn't enabling global sessions in PHP cause a search
form to fail XHTML validation?  Reason suggests that it may not only be
a problem within plugins, and is something that should be probably be
documented in a generic "Why does my site fail XHTML validation?" FAQ.

Owen