[wp-docs] Adding Administration Menus

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 15:18:26 GMT 2005

Matthew,

Dude, can you think up a uniform nomenclature for us non-UI designers
to follow. Ideally it should define the name for each of the elements,
so no one will ask "Is this a page, or a panel, or a screen, or what?"

The tooltips idea is way too cool, too. All we need is a pair of free hands.

Carthik.

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:28:02 +0000, Matthew Thomas <mpt at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> (Cross-posted to wp-hackers)
>
> Michael D.Adams wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 8, 2005, at 9:52 PM, Carthik Sharma wrote:
> >> That is one reason I haven't really spent time reading the pages you
>  >> wrote up, cause they can suck up a whole lot of time, and still be of
>  >> little use to people - no one will want to know what some button is, a
>  >> few will want to know why it is there, or why it's required, and not
>  >> something else. A lot of people arrive at the Codex with a specific
>  >> "how to" in mind. We should suck them in, and give them more info than
>  >> what they came looking for - and hence, task-based docs that
>  >> reference the UI docs will be cool to have.
> >
> > Perhaps the problem (if there is one), then, is best solved with better
> > innate documentation in WordPress itself.  Title attributes that specify
> > what something is when hovered over?  A 'Help' Admin Panel?
>
> If someone wants to implement tooltips for everything in WP's interface,
> I'll gladly spec them. Ideally the interface itself *should* make all
> "what does button X do?" documents redundant, leaving behind only the
> "how do I do Y?" documents.
>
> --
> Matthew Thomas
> http://mpt.net.nz/

When nothing is done, nothing is left undone -- 老子 Lǎozi

University of Central Florida
Homepage: http://carthik.net