[wp-docs] Task based documentation

Michael D.Adams mikea at turbonet.com
Wed Mar 9 02:43:54 GMT 2005

I've thought about this a bit over the past few days and really agree
with Morgan.  In particular, it will be difficult to convince me that
[[USER:MDAWaffe/Administration Panels]] etc. are not useful in their
current form.

It may be possible to argue that Task Based docs are overall more
useful, but it seems to me Tour (as Morgan aptly puts it) docs are
necessary as well.  Documentation needs to come from both sides:

Alice asks "Can I make a particular Link not appear on my Links list?"
TASK BASED

Bob points at his screen and asks "Links -> Add Link / Advanced:
Visible radio button.  What does that mean and what does it let me do?"
  TOUR BASED.

It's really the same question asked from two different ends.  Both get
asked, and both need to be addressed.  But knowing one question does
not mean you know how to ask the other.  Including documentation like
[[Administration Panels]] is therefore necessary.  Where it should _go_
and under what title (even ignoring the Panel nomenclature issue) are
important questions, though.  Especially since it'd be nice not to
duplicate information much (redundant and twice as hard to update).

Perhaps [[A Tour Through WordPress Administration|Administration
Panels]] would be an appropriate link from [[Administering your blog]].

Please comment, critique, lambast or whatever else.

Michael
MDAWaffe