[wp-docs] Writing a Plugin

Michael D.Adams mikea at turbonet.com
Wed Mar 9 02:19:51 GMT 2005

On Mar 8, 2005, at 5:24 PM, Scott Merrill wrote:
>> I think that the API should remain just that - an API, and not
>> degenerate into a tutorial+cookbook+everything-else.
>
> I added a handful of trite examples to the Plugin API list, to give
> working examples of how they can be used.  Should these be removed?
Examples are probably appropriate, but I think it would be best to give
them their own section.  We really only need a few examples, too: an
action, a filter, something that takes one or two parameters (see
below).  I suggest we keep the example section _as short as possible_
and encourage people to ask on the list or the discussion page before
adding new ones.  I see this article mostly as a quick reference for
people, not a tutorial.  (Let me know if I'm being too fascist.)

Speaking of keeping things clean, I'd like to eventually get rid of the
following sections from [[Plugin API]]:
#General Guidelines for Plugin Authors
#Adding Submenus to the Admin Menu
#Plugin Metadata

and put them on whatever top level Plugin Development article
([[Writing Plugins]], [[Plug in into Plugins]]...).

And another thing.  If anyone's been following
http://mosquito.wordpress.org/view.php?id=901
and can tell whether or not this new multiple parameter capability is
stable enough to include yet, can you make sure the information gets in
to [[Plugin API]]?

Michael