[wp-docs] Adding Keywords to Theme List

Lorelle VanFossen lorelle at cameraontheroad.com
Sat Jul 30 22:48:55 GMT 2005

After discussion with MacManx and others who keep an eye on the Theme
List, and a few Theme authors, we've decided to add keywords to the
Codex Theme list at http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Themes/Theme_List.

We've asked authors to help, we also need volunteers to help us to add
keywords to the list. Please pitch in.  Authors may modify the
information later, but we need to help users find themes that suit their
needs and the list is now very long. We're hoping that through this
keyword process, we can broaden the Theme categories, too.

While adding keywords to themes, we're finding some dead or wrong links.
So this is a great way to clean out the clutter. Here is the
instructions from MacManx on how the "cleaning" should work: "If it's a
404 or some other sort of error, go back the root domain and attempt to
find a post or page for the specific theme. If you can't find one, or if
the entire site is inaccessible, then we should remove the theme's
listing. If you can find a post or page for the theme, then just replace
the theme's listed link. The key thing to keep in mind is that the
Theme's listed link must go to a post or page that describes the theme
and provides a download link."

To explain the keyword process better, here is a copy of the message
left on Theme authors who posted links to their themes on the Codex in
the past 4-5 months.

== Adding Keywords to Themes List ==

To help users find themes appropriate to their needs, we are asking
Theme authors and volunteers to create a keyword description list for
all the Themes on the [[Using Themes/Theme List]].

'''These are not reviews but searchable keywords'''.  Examples include:

* Minimal, large header, elastic layout across width of screen,
navigation in header, sidebar on right on all views
* Minimalistic, white background, letter look, centered on page, Default
Theme style sidebar on right, no sidebar on single post page, based on
Default Theme. (Screenshot)
* Content against left margin, simple, sidebar and/or navigation on
right, post content in "boxes". (Demo Site)

Specifically, users need to know:

* Sidebar on right, left, two sidebars (positioning), and sidebars on
single post view and/or multi-post views
* Minimalistic, busy, boxed, round corners, structural details
* Elastic width, fixed in the center, or fixed width against the left margin
* Incorporation of plugins
* If screenshot or full demo available for viewing
* Navigation in header, sidebar, and/or footer
* Header ready for header image
* Gallery, photoblog, or CMS features
* Languages (Only available in a non-English language? If language
specific, please post a link on [[WordPress in Your Language]], too)

Thank you for helping us flesh out the Theme list and help direct users
to the Themes they need. And thank you for your valuable contributions
to the WordPress Community.  Lorelle

Thanks for helping out on this. If we all take a few minutes to do 10 of
these each, the list will be done in no time at all.