[wp-docs] printed version?

Michael B miklb.online at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 22:28:00 GMT 2005

On 7/12/05, Michael E. Hancock <mhancock at us.net> wrote:

> From: "Michael B" <miklb.online at gmail.com>
> > Was poking around recently and just discovered the site www.lulu.com<http://www.lulu.com>
> ,
> > and wondered if there had already been any discussion of taking the
> > most pertinent info from the codex and making a printed version
> > available. Doesn't seem there would be any out of pocket expenses,
> > and might be something the new blogger might want to possess, not to
> > mention, even the dedicated user to have around as reference as well.
> > I'm actually assuming it's already been discussed, but being new to
> > the mail list, thought I'd ask.
>
> miklb,
>
> Based on the discussions on the hackers email list regarding the GPL
> license, it seems there's nothing to stop you from creating (and even
> selling) a book compiled from Codex.
>
> I'm sure new users of WordPress would thank you for creating something
> like
> you suggest.
>
> Michael E. Hancock

So if there's nothing stopping me, why did Lorelle say "There is also a lot
that must be clarified for copyright protection and
contribution acknowledgements"?
I by no means was suggesting that I was thinking of such a task on my own, I
guess I was thinking out loud after seeing Urban Giraffee offer a printed
version of their dissection of a theme.
http://www.urbangiraffe.com/themes/guides
I thought there may be a demand for a printed, scaled down version of the
codex, that would also generate some revenue (I thought I'd seen a recent
page in the codex referencing upcoming fund raising plans/ideas). If it was
something that the overall community (or developers)wanted to pursue, I
would by all means volunteer to assist in extracting the most pertinent info
from the codex (installation, migration, upgrading, themes, template tags,
CSS basics/reference, etc).
It wouldn't have to be offered as a comprehensive manual, rather simply a
printed and bound "quick reference". Some people simply do better with
something they can hold in their hand, and scribble in the margins. And a
lot of these people would rather pay $20 for the info to be collected and
printed for them, rather than doing it themselves.
And again, for anyone not familiar with the site that does this,
http://www.lulu.com/reader/create.php
No out of pocket expenses are needed, as mentioned before.