[wp-docs] printed version?

Lorelle VanFossen lorelle at cameraontheroad.com
Tue Jul 12 19:16:21 GMT 2005

I had written a beautiful reply and then my laptop crashed.  Boy, we're
really getting going with preparation for the upcoming WordPress Backup
Week!

So, in short, per a request from Matt, please check
http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Lorelle/Articles_Wanted. This is a table
of contents for the online manual of a competitor. We used it to start
to generate a reference guide for holes in the documentation. Please
review it, link a document that covers the topic next to the topic
title, and check and mark which of these have been already added to the
Task List. If you find a topic that deserves an article, please mark it
as for the TASK LIST (Codex:Tasks) and add it to the task list.  If you
see gaps in the documentation where articles need to be added to match
WordPress features and functions, add it.

I've started a tentative "index/master table of contents" at
http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Lorelle/TOC but it is missing a lot of
new documentation.  I've asked MichaelH to review it and add more
documents to the list and I'm asking all of you to review it and think
about what holes there are in the documentation. Then add them to the
Articles Wanted and Task List.

In order to offer any form of "book", be it in pdf form or otherwise, we
have to fill in the blanks.  Here are some of the biggest holes in the
documentation as I see them:

* WordPress as a CMS (dealing with e-commerce, mailing lists,
subscribers, link checking, stats monitoring and other related CMS topics)
* Developers Documentation - we need more docs on functions, database
manipulation and information, and more advanced user topics.
* Advanced User Topics: If you have been paying attention, while the
forum continues to get beginner questions, many people are discovering
the Codex to answer the really simple stuff other than "my install is
borked". The majority of the questions are about queries, feeds, and
more sophisticated topics, topics in demand by the advanced user. Go
through the forums and find the consistently requested ADVANCED topics
and let's make a list to add these to the documentation.

And one more thing, and this is really important so I hope you are all
paying attention.

Until very recently, the majority of documents added to the Codex were
written 1) for fun (hey, I have an idea and want to share it), and 2) as
part of a DYI project (I solved it and here is my solution).  We now
need YOU, the documentation team volunteers, to 1) start writing because
the work must be written, and 2) recruit others to help write the
documentation that needs to be written.

To fill in these gaps, we have to write because the need is there, not
because we "want" to. That means we need a list of what needs to be
written, and we need people to take on these assignments. I'm not ready
to start recommending deadlines, but expect it to come soon, especially
as it gets closer to the release of 1.6. I'll cover that in another
thread, but if we, as a team, want to provide quality information, take
the pressure off the forums as the sole source of official WordPress
help, and share the support burden, we need to write for purpose, not
just for fun.

Oh, don't worry. We'll make it fun, after all this is volunteer work,
but let's focus on the tasks that need to be done and do them well.