[wp-docs] Revising the upgrade instructions

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Tue Dec 20 13:08:35 GMT 2005

Michael E. Hancock wrote:
> Issues to address:
> 1.  Should the .htaccess file be backed up

Yes.

> and what should be done with that file once the upgrade is completed?

Ideally, any backup one makes prior to upgrading should be able to be
dropped back in place to revert to the previous version, should the
upgrade fail.

If the backup is successful, and the upgrade goes smoothly, then the new
rules should be generated and we're all done.  If the upgrade does not
go smoothly, the user can rever to their previous version using the
backup while they solicit help in the forums.

> 3.  How to address the permission issues regarding the wp-db-backup.php
> plugin?

"If you want to use the Backup plugin, you'll need to make sure that
your /wp-content/ directory is writable by your webserver.  This means
changing it to mode 666 (or possibly 777)."

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35