[wp-design] Expert Review

Joen Asmussen joen at noscope.com
Thu Mar 10 21:42:53 GMT 2005

I gave it a short read-through at work, and unfortunately forgot to
forward it to my home email, so I'm writing this from scratch.

In general, I agree with many of what he has to say. That being said, we
did anticipate many of his issues as Khaled also mentions.

I hope to give some more accurate feedback tomorrow in a work-break, but
the gist of what I like about his approach is his focus on "tasks". It's
easy for us power users to structure and layout the interface based on
what power users do, or based on what would be logical. This is not
necessarily benefical to the user. Instead, it should be structured and
layout as the end user would expect.

A brilliant example of this is how he has placed "comments" as a primary
navigation element, instead of a secondary tab of "Manage".

The logical thing would be to have it a sub tab of "manage", but does
Ms. Vanilla know this? She got some comment  spam and wants to delete
it. She goes to the admin interface and looks for the word "Comments"
and finds nothing.

I'm not necessarily saying we should follow this specific piece of
advice. But it would be a good idea to make some use-cases and approach
the layout in order to simplify as many of them as possible. Especially
when it comes to navigation structure.

--

Joen Asmussen

CPH, DENMARK