[wp-design] Expert Review

Khaled Abou Alfa khaled.aboualfa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 21:31:08 GMT 2005

Don't hold back now Chris :).

I thought I'd reserve judgement until after I gave the document a good
read. I take it Matt you paid for this right? If you did, damn man you
must seriously love that bit of php code you call wordpress.

I was going to go into the word doc and give my comments there, but I'll
keep it e-mail based.

 From the top:
*Information Architecture*
Mostly I can see where he's coming from, however I don't agree with the
three tier heirarchy. Messy and unnecessary. To be completely honest
I've not thought about the rest of the options as I've been
concentrating my thoughts on the page we're on. Once we had a general
view of how everything was going to fit then my attention would turn to
the tabs and sub-tabs and what was on them. So I'm going to reserve my
judgement on his proposed structure.

*Hyperlinks*
Seems Joen anticipated this with his little help link everywhere. Even
better than a question mark it actually says help. I'm dreaming here,
but rather than have it open up in another window it would be pretty
cool if everything squeezed up and another panel appeared from the side
with various help topics, like a firefox sidebar :). I think I'm taking
the application ideology a bit too far, but I really think we should
bring the help issues to becoming an integral part of the WP makeup.

The buttons have also been anticipated, although we're still reviewing
what to do at the top navigation.

*Administration*
Neat little idea here. Just making things a bit less daunting for
people, might be a good idea. Get that wp humour in there as well,
brings the friendliness we talked about so much in the beginning.

*Writing*
Seems we've anticipated a few of these things. The little blue
confirmation/status bar at the top will handle the 'talking' for actions
taken. Makes sense. Maybe make it green for all systems go, etc.
Already sorted out his buttons/icons for adding and editing the post.
Including the insert image button as well. Rather than a seperate upload
section.

*Navigation Design*
Yeah whatever. No.

*Dashboard*
Yup I kind of agree, although probably not percentage wise or what he
thinks needs to be shown etc. This area I agree needs some tweaking.

*Themes*
Don't see what he's driving at here.

*Gallery*
Nah, you want a gallery, there are more able programs out there that can
deal with that that integrate easily into WP.

I wouldn't say it's rubbish. There are a few good points here which we
can use I think. Of course not everything to be honest because
somethings kind of miss the point. It's encouraging to see that we're
generally on the right track, except that whole increase the font size
of the nav bar, what the hell is that all about :)