[wpmu-trac] [WordPress MU Trac] #292: Signup form validation fixes, and doesn't depend on a particular theme being chosen

WordPress MU Trac wpmu-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Mar 28 00:19:48 GMT 2007

#292: Signup form validation fixes, and doesn't depend on a particular theme
being chosen
 Reporter:  JeremyVisser  |       Owner:  somebody
     Type:  defect        |      Status:  new
Component:  component1    |     Version:  1.0
 Severity:  normal        |    Keywords:  dev-feedback has-patch
 Currently, the {{{wp-signup.php}}} signup form uses the currently selected
 theme's stylings. While this is an OK idea, this is too easily broken if a
 new theme is coded for the site. I know I experienced that.

 Also, the signup form uses deprecated markup, like {{{<tr
 valign="top">}}}. This becomes invalid if the site admin chooses a theme
 which is XHTML 1.0 Strict, as it does not allow such deprecated markup.

 Finally, the signup form contains validation errors.

 Well, I have attached a patch which fixes all the validation errors that I
 could find, and also uses the WP Installer CSS so as to not depend on the
 theme. The advantage of this is that it always has the XHTML 1.0
 Transitional DOCTYPE, so there is no danger of it invalidating or looking
 crap if the theme is changed.

 Remember, validation is quite important. Code is poetry.

 Another justification for migrating the signup form to the Installer CSS
 is that the {{{wp-login.php}}} WP Login form doesn't respect the current
 theme either! {{{;)}}} Remember that it is still just as easy to customise
 the signup form, I am just making it better for those using it out-of-the-
 box.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/292>
WordPress MU Trac <http://mu.wordpress.org/>