[wp-xmlrpc] Remove authorization for xmlrpc read-only functions?

Daniel Jalkut jalkut at red-sweater.com
Wed Aug 4 01:42:25 UTC 2010

Hi Diederik - what comes to mind for me is that it's a coincidence that most of the information in a typical blog configuration is publicly visible.  There are several scenarios in which the content of a blog may be protected:

- The posts are password protected.
- The posts are drafts.
- The entire blog is only visible to registered users.
- The posts contain metadata that is not exposed publicly by a given theme.

I can see your reasoning for having the information be accessible when it just so happens that there isn't any private information among the results, but trying to determine with accuracy whether it was safe to expose a particular set of posts or not would be difficult. The XMLRPC API is just too blunt and its content may include a mish-mash of public and private content.

If you want to get at the content of public posts in a programmatically parseable way, the existing RSS and Atom syndication interfaces are probably a good choice.

Daniel