[wp-xmlrpc] what clients send an XML declaration in XML-RPC requests?

Joseph Scott joseph at josephscott.org
Sun Jul 26 04:08:58 UTC 2009

On Jul 25, 2009, at 10:17 AM, Daniel Jalkut wrote:

> Hi Joseph - MarsEdit does include the preamble and it looks like
> your example but also includes content-encoding information:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
>
> Is there some context for why you're asking about this? Just curious
> if we can help brainstorm an answer to whatever is on your mind.

I've been looking at PHP memory usage during XML-RPC requests (using
memory_get_peak_usage function).  With a specific target of reducing
the memory usage for large requests, like those with massive base64
encoded data sections.  So I've been making calls to
metaWeblog.newMediaObject with a 3369029 byte jpg file to upload.  The
nature of base64 encoding adds about a third to the size of the
original data and processing it takes even more memory.

The XML-RPC library that WordPress uses has a regular expression (a
preg_replace call) to look for this XML-RPC declaration and remove
it.  By replacing this regular expression with a simple string
substitution (with the substr function) I was able to cut the peak
memory usage of the request by 5.4%.  By decoding the base64 in chunks
instead of all at once I was able to shave another 1.4% off that.
When using both of these techniques the total reduction in memory
usage when compared to the current approach is 7.8%.  These numbers
are based only on my sample jpg file, I'm not sure yet how much they
will fluctuate when the data is smaller or larger.

Since I couldn't be sure that the substr approach would work in all
cases it falls back to the original regex method if the substr can't
be used.  To determine if the substr method will work I'm checking to
see if the string '<?xml version="1.0"?>' is at position zero in the
XML-RPC request.  If it is then use substr, if not use preg_replace.
This is a very simple approach, would could be expanded upon to match
other XML declarations.

This got me to wondering how many client requests actually use exactly
'<?xml version="1.0"?>'.  I plan to do some logging of XML-RPC
requests on WordPress.com to see what's actually being sent.  But it's
helpful to get an idea of what those declarations could look like as
well from client authors.  Brandon's reply about what most .Net apps
would probably do was helpful to know.

On a slightly related note I've wondered about the idea of compressed
base64 encoding.  Using my jpg example, a client would zip the jpg
file, then base64 encode the zipped version and ship that in the XML-
RPC request.  On the server end we'd base64 decode and then decompress
the resulting data to get back to the original jpg.  Making the flow
look like:

jpg -> gzip -> base64  --------> XML-RPC ---------> base64 decode ->
unzip -> jpg

Setting aside the XML-RPC layer issues for a moment, I don't know if
this method would really improve things.  It's currently only a
thought, I haven't run any tests using that approach.

--
Joseph Scott
joseph at josephscott.org
http://josephscott.org/