[wp-xmlrpc] APP and XMLRPC Ticket questions

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Fri Aug 21 21:27:34 UTC 2009

On 21 Aug 2009, at 19:19, Joseph Scott wrote:

> I looked at the current situation versus using wp_die.  The wp_die
> function is really targeted at providing HTML pages to users, so I
> don't think that it's a good fit when talking to other software. And
> I think the other things WP does to work around browser bugs doesn't
> help.  Here is what we current send back (tested with curl -v):
>
> I think the patched version is extra work with no reward.

Yeah the HTML version for APP does have a large overhead.

I like Daniels suggestion of an XML response.

Reading the APP spec is doesn't seem like there is any standard for
this - maybe this is something we can pioneer for APP failure responses?

>> Secondly: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10658>
>>
>> This is about improving the feedback on GET requests to xmlrpc.php
>> endpoint.
>>
>> I like the basic idea of the ticket but I think we can go one
>> better and, using wp_die again, provide feedback on enablement
>> status and a like to documentation on the codex about XMLRPC.
>

> Agreed, in this case we are returning content to a browser for the
> end user, so it should be HTML.  One more additional step would be
> return a more useful message for GET requests even when XML-RPC is
> enabled.

Yeah a better get when enabled as well was what I was trying to imply.

Something along the lines of a short message about what the endpoint
is for (links to the codex?) and then a statement about if it is/isn't
enabled.

--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5