[wp-xmlrpc] Using date_created_gmt in a Java application??

Joseph Scott joseph at randomnetworks.com
Tue Sep 23 17:12:06 GMT 2008

On Sep 23, 2008, at 7:54 AM, Tom Hoag wrote:

> Turns out the version of WP that I'm using as a test blog has an
> older version of xmlrpc.php
> that does not have date_created_gmt (only looks for dateCreated in
> the struct).  Hence, using
> the date_created_gmt field is yielding exactly the result that I was
> seeing: use current date.
> (I was referencing a local copy of xmlrpc.php that I must have
> grabbed from a more recent
> version of WP)

Yep, that would explain it :-)

> So now I'm back to the dateCreated situation -- dateCreated
> interprets the passed in date
> as GMT.  Which, as it turns out, is exactly what the spec specifies (http://www.xmlrpc.com/spec
> )
>
> <dateTime.iso8601>    date/time    19980717T14:08:55
>
> Note that there is not TZ (or millisecond) component to the
> dateTime.iso8601 -- So I'm supposing
> that my method of offsetting my desired postdate by the diff between
> the local TZ and GMT is
> the only way to get around this . . .

Sadly the spec doesn't detail out the TZ issues at all (even worse it
says each app should figure it out for themselves).  This was why we
added date_created_gmt to WordPress, to have a field that was always
(by definition) GMT.

> Also, I started going down the path to dump the XML being sent to
> the server, but couldn't find
> anything.  Is there a mechanism on WP to log the XML somewhere??
> Would be handy to know
> for future debugging.

I sniff the traffic in transit, on Windows using Fiddler and on Mac
using HTTPScoop.

--
Joseph Scott
joseph at randomnetworks.com