[wp-xmlrpc] Any interest in OAuth?

Joseph Scott joseph at randomnetworks.com
Wed Jun 18 17:52:42 GMT 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 3:40 AM, Joe Cheng wrote:

>> I agree. SSL is the secure way to connect to a server, don’t re-
>> invent
>> SSL in XML-RPC.
>
> Don't think of it as re-inventing SSL. It's XML-RPC protocols that
> re-invented HTTP Auth, except in the worst way possible. I just
> want to negate that epic mistake. :)

Just to note, having XML-RPC not require/depend on/expect to have
working/etc HTTP authentication turned out to be a really good
thing.  Why?  Because through a sad series of events, it turns out to
not work all the time.

	http://joseph.randomnetworks.com/archives/2007/09/19/http-basic-
authentication-a-tale-of-atompub-wordpress-php-apache-cgi-and-ssltls/

While perhaps not the ideal situation that everyone would like,
having XML-RPC not require HTTP authentication has made it much
easier to support in a variety of server environments.

Also, there's nothing in XML-RPC that mandates authentication at all,
or how is should be done.  I'm guessing that you're really referring
to the common blog APIs that are built on top of XML-RPC (metaWeblog,
blogger, mt, etc).  There's plenty to not be thrilled with there :-)

I'm not claiming that XML-RPC is perfect, or even the best, but it
shouldn't be blamed for what people built on top of it.