[wp-xmlrpc] Non-Moderator Comments

David Dodson sondod at givethepeople.com
Thu Aug 21 22:50:28 GMT 2008

Following the threads I understand the desire to prevent spam from
coming through the xmlrpc pipe, but want to raise the question of non-
moderator users being able to post comments through xmlrpc.  Currently
only admins or editors can post through the xmlrpc even with valid
login credentials.  Assuming the WP site is set up so that users have
to be logged in to comment, subscribers, contributors and authors
should also be able to post comments.  I did a test commenting out the
code which checks for moderator status, which allows for subscribers
to post.  The nice thing is that for first time subscribers, the
comments still must be approved in this manner.  As such, unless I'm
missing something, I don't think doing this would leave a means for
spam to exploit, unless the concern is having to moderate attempts.
Otherwise none of the spam comments could make it live just by using
the xmlrpc without being moderated first.

Thoughts?

DD