[wp-ui] Intros

Ronen Hirsch remote at iamronen.com
Wed Jan 20 09:52:57 UTC 2010

Dear Friends,

My name is Ronen (http://www.iamronen.com) and I live in the north of
Israel in a small village called Elkosh
http://www.iamronen.com/2009/03/elkosh/.

3+ years ago I left behind a 15 year information technology career in
which I specialized in systems analysis, management and the last two
years were dedicated to digital product design. I am a Yoga practitioner
and teacher and I play Shakuhachi
http://www.iamronen.com/2009/04/sounds-of-shakuhachi/. Since my break
from the business of technology I have immersed myself as a photographer
in an artistic exploration with improvisation performance artists
(http://www.stillcreation.com). I am currently involved in numerous
self-initiated projects and rarely work commercially.

I encountered WordPress ~3 years ago and have enjoyed it greatly both
for expressing myself and for enabling others to communicate with the
world. I have since moved to using mostly open-source solutions and have
great respect for the people leading in this direction. I have been
looking for a way to give back to open-source by contributing my product
design skills. I have recently begun interacting with the Mozilla
Raindrop team and am now looking forward to partaking in this new
WordPress process.

For me product design is a process of choosing and pursuing a purpose
(for a product) with care. Though I can contribute on the UI/UX level my
patience for these details is limited - I believe that too much noodling
around with these details can be a sign of lack of direction and is
often done at the expense of actions that have a higher leverage and
more impact on the product. I feel that **as an end-user product**
WordPress has been making little and insignificant progress since 2.7.

I have two distinct purposes in mind for WordPress. One is a REALLY
simple blogging platform (in the direction Tumblr is heading) that
anyone can use. The other is an open-source substitute for Facebook - an
application that every-day-non-blogger people can use to store,
communicate and socialize with other people online. I would love for
WordPress to reach many more people then it currently does. I believe
that inevitably most people will have (many already do) an online
presence - I prefer that that presence be established on open-source
software and self-owned solutions (I collect my thoughts and resources
on this issue at: http://www.iamronen.com/ontekusuto/).

I feel that WordPress is still waaaay too technical and addresses mostly
needs of technically-minded people. I believe one of the core reasons
for this is that, like all the other open-source projects I have
encountered, it is dominated and led by developers.Therefore, I believe
this effort to bring designers into the process is a wonderful
undertaking and has the potential to break new grounds for open-source
software (which generally suffers from poor product design). I am not
pleased to find that it will be limited to narrow UI perspective - but
maybe that is an inevitable starting point - time will tell! I believe
WordPress deserves not only better GUI/UI but also an open high-level
discussion of where it is headed - a discussion about purpose.

Thank you Jane & Automattic for initiating this process.
All Things Good

Ronen