[wp-ui] First steps

Matt Thomas mt at automattic.com
Tue Jan 19 18:18:41 UTC 2010

> a little bit about you: Your work background/ current job, specific design/usability/accessibility skills/talents that we should know about/make use of, what you hope to contribute to WP UI, your location/time zone, and maybe the one UI thing you would like to address in WP if given the chance.

I'm Matt Thomas (aka "MT"). I'm the art director at Automattic where I, like Jane, spend a portion of my time working on WordPress core. I also spend my time on WordPress.com and Automattic's other services. I worked with Jane after the big "Crazyhorse" redesign to create a new visual style for the WordPress UI, which was implemented by the core devs in version 2.7. But that redesign only touched the topmost elements in the interface. While I think the last thing WordPress users want is yet another redesign, there's tons of things in the interface that haven't had much thoughtful attention paid to its design, and I'm excited to see what we can come up with to solve those problems and make WordPress even better.

For the benefit of readability, when posting to this list please:

* Practice bottom-posting (quote only the necessary lines from the post you're replying to, include your reply beneath) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Bottom-posting
* Keep any e-mail signature to a minimum -- it's very hard to follow the digest when posts are interspersed with contact lists and confidentiality messages and such. :)

MT