[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #61269: Plugin Dependencies: Add filter to restore auto-redirect after plugin activation

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 24 17:16:03 UTC 2024

#61269: Plugin Dependencies: Add filter to restore auto-redirect after plugin
activation
 Reporter:  hellofromTonya                       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by jorbin):

 My goal with suggesting the specific backward compatibility language and
 switch from `url` to `redirect_url` is to lessen the surpise when the
 redirect is no longer automatic and instead is a button press or something
 else.

 When that time comes, we can create a new `_deprecated_paramater` that
 will fire if someone passes in `redirect_url` after it is no longer used

 If it is decided that there shouldn't be a specific backwards
 compatibility promise to not re-use parameters for anything other what
 they are first introduced for, I think `url` is a good name. In that case,
 I still think it would be good to make it clear in the filter
 documentation that user interface behavior is not guaranteed to stay the
 same. So I would suggest something along the lines of:

 > User interface behavior caused by the configuration of specific values
 in this hook is not guaranteed to stay consistent between versions of
 WordPress.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/61269#comment:36>