[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #61269: Plugin Dependencies: Add filter to restore auto-redirect after plugin activation

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu May 23 21:18:05 UTC 2024

#61269: Plugin Dependencies: Add filter to restore auto-redirect after plugin
activation
 Reporter:  hellofromTonya                       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by jorbin):

 While the behavior in 6.5.4 would be to redirect, I think it would be
 beneficial if this filter documentation included a specific promise about
 backwards compatibility so it's clear to people using it about what could
 change (and what will not). I know there are people who believe that the
 change of behavior which prevented redirects is a backward compatibility
 break and I would like to prevent that disagreement when/if that behavior
 goes away again.

 What are folks thoughts on the following language to be used in a devnote
 and in the inline documation:

 > This hook has a specific backward compatibility promise. The
 functionality that it causes is not guaranteed to remain consistent,
 however the behavior of specific parameters will not change. For instance,
 the redirect_url parameter will not be reused but can (and likely will) be
 deprecated as the plugin installation experience evolves.

 This would also mean we would want to rename the parameter from `url` to
 `redirect_url` so that it is more specific. It has the benefit of reducing
 confusion and being forwards compatible but it comes at the cost of
 requiring plugin developers to stay on top of changes. I think that cost
 is reasonable since if you are releasing a plugin you should be expected
 to test it and update it for every major WordPress release.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/61269#comment:24>