[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #61211: List minimum version required when showing plugins that are "Incompatible with your version of WordPress"

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue May 14 13:28:15 UTC 2024

#61211: List minimum version required when showing plugins that are "Incompatible
with your version of WordPress"
 Reporter:  JeffPaul     |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  Plugins      |    Version:
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:  needs-patch
  Focuses:               |
 I happened to be testing something using WordPress 5.9.9 and went to add a
 plugin, in the example screenshot Gutenberg is the example here, and saw
 the standard "This plugin doesn’t work with your version of WordPress.
 Please update WordPress." and "Incompatible with your version of
 WordPress" error messaging on the plugin card (I'll leave aside the fact
 that double messaging here is probably not necessary).

 The item that would be helpful alongside the error messaging is the
 minimum version of the plugin that is required.  In the case of the
 Gutenberg example I have to click "More Details" to get the plugin modal
 overlay showing that at the current day Gutenberg "Requires WordPress
 Version: 6.4 or higher".  Having that 6.4 version noted within the plugin
 card would be helpful context.  Perhaps updating the first error message
 to something more like "This plugin doesn’t work with your version of
 WordPress. Please update WordPress 6.4 or newer." would be a more helpful
 error message.